- For Newcomers
- Catholic Faith
- Historic Site
- Chapel & Grounds
- Gift Shop
- Contact Us
image carousel by WOWSlider.com v7.2
The Chapel at Mount Saint Michael is dedicated to Almighty God under the patronage of St. Michael and the Holy Angels. Statues of angels fill the sanctuary, reminding us of the heavenly spirits who surround us.
The original furnishing of the chapel were removed by the Jesuits when the scholasticate at Mount Saint Michael was closed. Only the bas-relief of the Last Supper within the main altar remains. The chapel underwent extensive renovation and restoration in 1991. Many of the present furnishings were obtained from St. Joseph’s Orphanage in Superior, Wisconsin.
As you enter the chapel, statues of angels holding holy water fonts are on either side of the door. In the left rear corner of the chapel is the Baptismal font surrounded by the baptistery grill. The confessional, where the sacrament of Penance is administered, is found on the opposite side. Around the wall of the chapel are the fourteen Stations of the Cross, pictures depicting the sufferings of Jesus in His Passion.
Along the side walls of the chapel are shrines honoring various saints: To the right, the Blessed Virgin Mary (replaced at Christmas by the Nativity), St. Michael the Archangel and St. Francis Xavier Cabrini; on the left, the Sacred Heart of Jesus, St. Joseph, St. Anne, St. Philomena, and Our Mother of Perpetual Help. Before some of the shrines are burning votive candles, symbolic of the prayers of the faithful ascending to the throne of God.
Within the sanctuary, which is separated from the body of the chapel by the communion rail, stands the beautiful main altar, surmounted by angels and with a frontipiece depicting the Last Supper. In the tabernacle of this altar the Blessed Sacrament is usually reserved, while nearby a red sanctuary lamp burns to indicate the presence of our Divine Lord. The crucifixion scene above the altar reminds us not only that Christ in His boundless love gave His life for our redemption, but that the Holy Mass is a renewal of that Sacrifice of love.
The exquisite stained-glass windows were installed between the years 1947 and 1951, over 30 years after the opening of Mount St. Michael. They were designed by Zettler Studios in New York, a company of Bavarian artists and master craftsmen. Extensive correspondence between the window maker and the Jesuit superior at Mount St. Michael discussing the plan and design of each window exists in the Jesuit Oregon Province Archives.
On the left side of the sanctuary is the altar of the Blessed Virgin with its beautiful bas-relief of the Virgin of the Poor. Our Blessed Mother is holding up the Infant Jesus, Whose little arms are outstretched to embrace poor sinners. At the feet of the Mother and her Child are gathered the poor and oppressed, who seek comfort and aid in their sufferings.
On the right side of the sanctuary is the altar of the Holy Family, the Model of family life. In this charming bas-relief Jesus, Mary and Joseph are engaged in the pursuits of everyday life in their home at Nazareth. The members of the Holy Family exemplify the peace, charity and order that ought to reign within Christian families.
We extend a open invitation to you to come and visit our beautiful Chapel and parish at Mount St. Michael. The Mount is a sanctuary of peace and prayer and is open to the public during the daytime for those who would like to visit. Stop by to light a candle, say a prayer, or spend a few moments in quiet meditation. During the school year, Holy Mass is offered daily here on weekdays at 6:40 a.m. and at 8:00 a.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays, Mass is offered at 8:00 a.m., 10:30 a.m. and 5:00 p.m. The public is cordially invited to attend.